Ball Corporation / Ball Aerospace Plant Quality Assurance Manager in Verona, Virginia
Who We Are:
Ball Corporation is a supplier of high quality metal packaging for beverage, food and household products customers, and of aerospace and other technologies and services, primarily for the U.S. government. Our approximately 18,700 knowledgeable, motivated and customer-focused employees share Ball's high regard for mutual respect, integrity and ethical conduct.
Founded in 1880, Ball Corporation was originally known for the glass canning jars your grandmothers used to use. Today, Ball makes packaging that enables delivery of safe, nutritious food and beverages and convenient household products to consumers around the world. Ball Aerospace is known for its contributions in support of space and Earth science, exploration, national security and intelligence programs.
Ball is one of the world's largest manufacturers of food cans, aerosol cans, paint & general line cans, and specialty metal tins. Fruits, vegetables, soup, meat, beverages, or pet food - we make a metal can that protects products and displays them beautifully. Ball is North America's largest producer of 3-piece steel aerosol cans, Europe's leading supplier of extruded aluminum aerosol cans and the world's largest producer of aluminum slugs (disks that are later extruded into cans and bottles).
Ball is a Lean/SixSigma environment – exposure to these tools and methods is preferred.
Ball Advanced Aluminum Technology’s Verona plant is an aluminum foundry and stamping plant. We have 92 employees who process 100 percent infinitely recyclable aluminum ingot into slugs for impact extruded packaging customers (aerosol and beverage containers principally). The plant is located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley, surrounded by the Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains.
*Primary Purpose of Position: *
Manages the plant quality assurance function as directed.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe and secure work environment. This includes correcting unsafe acts/conditions, facilitating monthly safety meetings, performing monthly safety inspections, and investigating accidents, as required.
- The plant quality assurance manager or designee is to be trained and certified in the food safety system and oversees its development, implementation, review and maintenance. Provides for trained backups in the case of absence of key food safety system employees.
- Directs and coordinates the employees and activities of the quality assurance function in the plant and its interface with the group office.
- Establishes and maintains quality assurance standard procedures, methods, and equipment to meet customer requirements.
- Establishes and maintains customer relations program in plant matters relating to quality.
- Directs and implements quality training and development programs to maintain the competence and technical skills required for the effective performance of the plant’s quality.
- Establishes and analyzes quality areas including quality goals, quality problems, defective materials, claims, and customer quality problems. Advises plant management and the manufacturing department of the results of such analysis.
- May manage and control non-conforming finished products (HFI’s).
- May facilitate internal audits and coordinate with customers and third parties for their audits.
- May act as focal point for HACCP Recall Corporate Team.
- Spearheads plant’s various third party certification efforts, such as ISO9000, SQF and BRC or others as required by customers.
- May coordinate concessionary agreements with outside customers.
- Accesses, inputs, and retrieves information from the computer.
- Initiates, reviews, masters, and follows all standard operating procedures (SOPs) for area of responsibility.
- Metallurgy background required.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college level education or work-related experience
- Job related experience for 4 year(s) minimum
- May require short-term and long-term domestic travel (10-25%)
Relocation for this position is NOT Available.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Minority, Female, Disabled, Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual, Transgender and Veterans.