City of Richmond - Utilities Maintenance Technician III - Water Utility in Richmond, Virginia
The purpose of the class is to supervise and to maintain and make repairs/improvements. The class is responsible for assigned area of responsibility. The class works according to some procedures, but decides how and when to do things under general supervision.
Exercised: Classification typically does not supervise. * Received: Incumbent reporting relationships are based on department. * Note:** Other reporting relationships may apply
Example of Duties:
The City of Richmond, Department of Public Utilities - Water Division is seeking to fill the position of Maintenance Technician III.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Troubleshooting, maintaining and inspecting the operations of equipment in assigned work area;
- Operating heavy industrial fixed and portable equipment;
- Performing scheduled/unscheduled maintenance and repair on light to heavy industrial mechanical equipment;
- Following schematics, blueprints and simple sketches to complete tasks;
- Using a Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) to document work;
- Performing installations and repairs of AC compressors, fan motors, valves and pumps (small and large);
- Using laser alignment systems;
- Inspecting and testing machinery/equipment;
- Certifying back-flow preventers;
- Performing snow and ice removal and cutting grass;
- Performing all duties in a safe manner according to OSHA regulations and under State requirements.
Please note: This position requires 24 hour, weekend and holiday on-call duty as scheduled.
Qualifications, Special Certifications and Licenses:
- Requires high school diploma or GED, and training equivalent to the satisfactory completion of one year of college education or specialized advanced training;
- Requires three years of experience;
- An equivalent combination of training and experience (as approved by the department) may be used to meet the minimum qualifications of the classification
- May require valid state driver's license or CDL. Preferred Qualifications:
The successful candidate will demonstrate through a fully complete and detailed on-line application:
- A valid Driver's License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and will require a CDL within six (6) months of hire;
- At least three (3) years of experience in repairing and maintainingwater filtration equipment such as HVAC, centrifugal water and peristaltic pumps, gearboxes, chemical metering and hydraulic valves at a Water Purification Plant and outlying pump stations;
- At least three (3) years of experience working in a mechanical and/or electrical industrial maintenance environment with exposure to heavy equipment, high voltages and hazardous chemicals;
- Proven ability to rebuild centrifugal pumps, valves and gearboxes;
- Familiarity with computer systems used for maintenance management;
- Ability to write detailed reports on repairs to equipment.
Americans with Disabilities Act Requirements:
PHYSICAL AND DEXTERITY REQUIREMENTS: Physical and dexterity refers to the requirement for physical exertion and coordination of limb and body movement.
Requires medium to heavy work that involves walking, standing, stooping, lifting, digging, pushing and raising objects and involves exerting between 20 to 50 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis and 50 to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis.
ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS: Environmental hazards refer to the job conditions that may lead to injury or health hazards even though precautions have been taken.
The job may risk exposure to bright/dim light, dusts and pollen, extreme heat and/or cold, wet or humid conditions, extreme noise levels, vibration, fumes and/or noxious odors, traffic, moving machinery, electrical shock, heights, toxic/caustic chemicals and explosives.
SENSORY REQUIREMENTS: Sensory ability refers to hearing, sight, touch, taste, and smell required by the job.
The job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception and texture perception.
ADA COMPLIANCE The City of Richmond, Virginia is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Job Title: Maintenance Technician III - Water Utility
Closing Date/Time: Sun. 08/27/17 11:59 PM Eastern Time
Salary: $29,137.00 - $47,231.00 Annually
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: 3920 Douglasdale Road, Richmond, Virginia
Department: Public Utilities