Defense Acquisition University Professor of Aircraft Ground Operations in Chester, Virginia
Are you ready to help a world-class university take on the challenges of reaching over 150,000 learners worldwide? The Defense Acquisition University (DAU) is the recognized leader as a corporate university, advancing the use of technology in all areas of education. The professional faculty and staff at DAU work in a strong team environment to continuously improve the ways we help our students learn by delivering the right knowledge and skills at the point of need. Come join this dynamic team using your expertise to make a real impact in the acquisition community.
Learn more about this agency
As a Professor of Aircraft Ground Operations, you will apply your knowledge, experience, and technical skills to teach and facilitate higher levels of learning for the Department of Defense workforce. In support of this position you will:
- Develop and conduct lectures, case studies, simulations and workshops.
- Lead and facilitate student discussion, problem solving, and presentations/briefings.
- Prepare course and workflow learning asset training material according to current instructional systems design technology.
- Develop and analyze student assessments and provide student counseling to ensure the highest degree of learning.
- Provide consulting services to acquisition programs and members of the acquisition workforce. Other major duties include:
- As assigned, effectively instruct the department's fielded courses consistent with DAU processes and quality standards.
- Self-monitor effectiveness of instruction from Metrics that Matter data, formal supervisor reviews and informal peer feedback, taking necessary actions to continually improve such.
- As assigned, design, develop, field and maintain Workflow Learning Assets (micro-videos, job support tools) that are aligned to DCMA-defined/prioritized training needs to provide front line DCMA and Service Government Ground Representative (GGR) or Ground Government Flight Representative (GGFR) professionals on-line/on-demand access to concise, topic-targeted training to assist them in their day-to-day job performance.
- On an on-going basis, proactively recommend to department chair and DCMA customer topics/ideas for Workflow Learning Assets which might provide a training solution to help address a trending job performance issue in the field or serve as useful on-the-job refresher training of a key job skill or process.
- As assigned, serve as Course Manager in the design, development, piloting, instruction and maintenance of certain on-line or classroom courses of the department, keeping those courses' design and delivery keenly aligned to DCMA-defined learning outcomes and DCMA-defined content.
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
This announcement is open to all U.S. Citizens.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
1825 Aviation Safety
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- You must have achieved DAWIA Level III certification in Production, Quality and Manufacturing (PQM) or have the ability to obtain this certification within 24 months of appointment.
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate sufficient experience as a U.S. Military aircraft maintenance officer or non-commissioned (NCO) maintenance professional.
- Recent and successful DCMA experience in managing aircraft ground operations aspects of contracts is not required, but will be considered a plus.
- Recent and successful leadership and resource management experience directly relevant to the aircraft ground operations career field is not required, but will be considered a plus.
- If selected for this position, you are subject to the completion of a satisfactory background investigation.
- You will be required to become a member of the Acquisition Corps. DoD instruction 5000.58R specifies qualification standards for Corps membership (waiver of some of these standards is possible in the limited circumstances described in the instruction).
- You will be required to join the DAU Faculty Plan as established by Title 10 of the US Code. This position is in the excepted service (non-career). Candidates currently in the competitive service will be required to sign a statement indicating that they are leaving the competitive services voluntarily to accept an appointment in the excepted service.
- If selected for this position, you must be able to begin work within 90 days of acceptance.
- DAWIA Level III certification in Production, Quality and Manufacturing (PQM)
- This may be designated as a drug testing position.
For optimum consideration, please ensure your resume reflects how your experience and educational achievements are related to key functional areas of this position including: teaching abilities, mission assistance/consulting, learning asset management (curriculum development and knowledge sharing), and leadership. 1. GGR/GGFR Experience: Describe in detail, the depth and breadth of your experience with a focus on knowledge of FAR, DFARS, and Service Guidance related to the surveillance of contractor aircraft flight and ground operations. Specifically, knowledge of DFARS 252.228-7001, "Ground and Flight Risk" clause and DCMA INST 8210.1, "Contractor's Flight and Ground Operations". This includes experience conducting training and conducting or participating on inspections of military services, contractor and internal agency Aircraft Operations Programs. Demonstrated knowledge of and successful experience in managing Aircraft Ground Operations* for aviationcontracts is required for this position. The applicant must show evidence of Aircraft Operations experience in a DoD or non-DoD agency field position. Demonstrated knowledge and work experience in Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) Part 42.302(a)56 is required. Candidate must be able to demonstrate sufficient experience as a U.S. Military aircraft maintenance officer or non-commissioned (NCO) maintenance professional. Recent and successful Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) experience in managing aircraft ground operations aspects of contracts is not required but will be considered a plus. 2. *Teaching/Instruction: Ability to teach and facilitate adult learning. This includes (through both demonstrated experience in actual teaching/instructor duty position(s) and/or in job(s) wherein the on-the-job training of employees was a duty of the position) the ability to communicate (orally and in writing) complex material to students with different backgrounds and experience; a proficiency in delivery methods such as guided discussions, short lectures, role plays, problem-based learning (PBL), and case studies; the ability to incorporate the learner's experience into the learning process along with the ability to motivate learners to participate actively in the learning process; and the ability to organize information and develop the thought. Typical courses are 1 week in duration. Instruction is provided in government classroom facilities under the construct of generally seeking to take the instruction to the students. Instruction may require up to 50% travel (TDY). 3. Consulting/Mission Assistance:The ability to consult with DoD and/or non-DoD clients (or industry equivalents) in areas related to government ground representative duties. 4. Learning Asset Management (Curriculum Development, On-Demand/On-the-Job Workflow Learning Asset Development and Knowledge Sharing):This includes (through both demonstrated experience in actual teaching/instructor duty position(s) and/or in job(s) wherein the management of training assets was a duty of the position) the ability to manage or develop learning assets and learning products for the government ground representative career field, to include the continuous assessment, currency, and quality of various types of learning assets and learning products. This also includes any experience with distance learning, continuous learning modules and communities of practice. 5. Leadership and resource management: Ability to design and implement strategies and objectives that maximize employee potential, foster continuous learning and promote open communication. Identify competency in conflict management, leading and leveraging diversity, developing others and team building. Identify and describe your leadership/management experience in acquisition organizations within the defense (government) and/or private (commercial) sectors; include team leadership as well as supervisory leadership. Describe your experience with the management of an organization's resources relating to its programs and operations. Recent and successful leadership and resource management experience directly relevant to the aircraft ground operations career field is not required but will be considered a plus.
Pay Band A: You must possess a* Bachelor's Degreein a related area from an accredited college or university and have at least *3 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either government or industry. Pay Band B: You must possess a Master's Degreein a related area from an accredited college or university and at least 6 years of experience in the appropriate functional area in either a government or industry position.
DAU has a comprehensive benefits package that includes retirement, social security, and thrift savings; health, life, and long term care insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. DAU employees enjoy flexible work schedules, transit subsidy, and the opportunity to telecommute. For additional information on specific health benefits, life insurance, retirement, etc. please visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp. For additional information on the Thrift Savings Plan please visit: http://www.tsp.gov. For additional Veteran's information please visit: http://www.usajobs.gov/ei/VetPreference.asp or http://www.fedshirevets.gov If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Appropriate experts within the Defense Acquisition University will evaluate applications. Salary determination is based on the requirements of the position as well as the qualifications of the selected applicant as aligned with the evaluation criteria for each Pay Band.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Résumé: The latest resume submitted will be used to determine qualifications.
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents The following supporting documents are REQUIRED to verify your individual eligibility status. Not all will apply for each applicant. They MUST be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- SF-50- (If applicable) Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees- with the exception of current permanent DAU employees, please provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- If you claim Veteran's Preference, (5 or 10 points) you MUST provide a copy of your DD Form 214 (Member Copy 4) listing the dates of military service and rank. If you are claiming 10 points (10 percent or more disability), you must also provide a letter from the Veterans Affairs Office and a completed SF-15 (Application for 10-point Veterans Preference - http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdffill/SF15.pdf) substantiating your claim.
- Performance Appraisal: Current or previous federal employees.
- Other documents identified in the announcement. Note: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered or uploaded are received, legible, and accurate.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. 1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents. 2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application. 3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
DEFENSE ACQUISITION UNIVERSITY 9820 Belvoir Road Ft. Belvoir, VA US
Learn more about this agency
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. ALL eligible candidates will be forwarded to DAU for consideration. DAU will have a panel review all applicants and will contact individuals for interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to drive status updates notification for applicants. You can elect to activate the proactive notification from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process to sign-up for automatic alerts when there are status changes for jobs to which you have applied.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) office at OPM
- Office of Equal Opportunity
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/481165500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/04/2017 to 11/03/2017
Salary: $80,000 to $125,000 per year
Pay scale & grade: AD 00
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Term - 4 years