WETA Producer, Politics in Arlington, Virginia
Department: NewsHour Productions, LLC
Supervisor: Senior Producer, Politics
The Producer, Politics serves as an integral member of the PBS NewsHourpolitics unit, overseeing the production of video segments for use on-air and a variety of online content.
- Conceiving, developing and executing field segments as well as studio discussion segments.
- Managing and planning field and political event coverage and field produced stories for packages as well as special projects
- Identifying, pre-interviewing, and booking guests.
- Gathering and writing background briefing materials for anchors and others.
- Budget planning for field segments.
- Conceive and execute a variety of online coverage projects, which might include social media, podcasts, slideshows, extended interviews, and interactive forums and more.
- General news and feature assignments maybe assigned as well.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Experience covering politics and government at a national level. Experience covering presidential campaigns is a plus.
- Experience shooting and editing (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut or Avid) are a plus
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced newsroom setting and to adjust smoothly to changing assignments under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, project planning and follow-through, presentation and time management skills. Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Availability to work a non-standard or extended work schedule at times with little or no notice.
- College degree in journalism, political science, or related field.
- Minimum of four (4) years of producing original news content, preferably for a national news outlet. Preference for experience covering campaigns.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WETA is an equal employment opportunity employer. WETA does not discriminate against employees or applications on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.